We’ve said more than once that a key to spending more time playing in the snow is to have a few quick and delicious meals that can be put together without too much effort.
This simple recipe fits that category. It’s nearly as easy as making store bought meatballs and taste so much better after a day spent outside.
For the Meatballs
- 1 kg of lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese Five Spices (optional)
For the Veggies
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 small onion diced coarsely
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup of green peppers chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of honey
- ½ cup of ketchup
- ¾ cup of water
This recipes works great on the stove top for those last minute dinners or in the slow cooker when you’re planning ahead, knowing that you’ll be coming back home hungry from your adventure.
Stove Top Option
- In a bowl mix the ground beef and Chinese five spice and form balls. Cook in a frying pan over medium heat until they are cooked, about 10 minutes (this is completely dependent of the size of meatballs you chose to make).
- Drain the fat and add the meatballs to the sauce and veggies.
- While the meat is cooking, cook the veggies in a thick bottomed pot over medium heat until the onions and mushrooms soften up. Add the ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, adding the cooked meatballs. Let simmer about 10-15 minutes, until the sauce as reached the desired thickness.
Slow Cooker Option
- In a bowl mix the ground beef and Chinese five spice and form balls. Sear in a frying pan, drain the fat and add the meatballs to slow cooker.
- In your slow cooker, add the veggies and ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Add the cooked meatballs and set to cook for 4 hours.
- Sometimes it’s easier to set it up before heading out in the morning rather than at lunch time. This recipe works well for this, just add an extra ½ cup of water and set to cook for 8 hours.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Tried the recipe? Let us know what you think.